Skip directly to content

School Gas Leak Leads to Passage of CO Legislation

Submitted by lesenochek on Mon, 09/12/2011 - 10:15

A tragic incident of carbon monoxide poisoning in Waterbury, CT triggered action that led to this historic CO legislation, which increases the CT laws from places where people sleep to places where people work and study. CO Legislation in non-sleeping areas is an important market expansion for CO alarms.  Connecticut Governor Dan Malloy signed HB 5326, Public Act No. 11-248 into law in July 2011.  House Bill 5326 requires all school buildings, newly constructed on or after January 2012, to install carbon monoxide (CO) detectors throughout. This law is important because it shows that carbon monoxide protection is needed in places where people do not sleep such as office, schools and public buildings.  Chicago CO laws also cover schools but there is a need for CO detection everywhere there are smoke alarms today.  In fact, two thirds of all fire deaths are due to CO poisoning and not burns and that percentage is even higher in large buildings.  Of over 600 injuries in the famous MGM Grand fire in Las Vegas only one injury was not from carbon monoxide poisoning.   

This bill is one of the first state laws requiring CO alarms in schools.  The Bill permits CO alarms meeting either UL 2034 (single station CO alarms) or UL 2075 (system CO alarms connected to a central panel) to be installed and it directs the State Fire Marshal and the Codes and Standards Committee to develop specifications for the location, testing, maintenance, and power requirements for the  CO detectors.